I fell in love with cooking as a little girl, sitting on the counter, helping Mom cook. That shared love of cooking is what this blog is all about. I want this to be a place where we can all share and learn from each other all our favorite recipes, kitchen tips, and more. From how to fry an egg to Grandma's tried and true classics to your favorite olive oil. I hope everyone enjoys the blog, has fun with it, and will contribute your own ideas.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Turkey and Artichoke Stuffed Shells

I was watching Food Network the other day when Giada was making this, and I just HAD to try it. I of course made a short cut or two. I made these last night and it was sooooo good. Make sure to read the notes at the end for a few tips and shortcuts.  I made it with my Not So Greek Salad and sliced some french bread. Also- there is a new note on my recipe for Not So Greek Salad about a new dressing I tried. This recipe takes a little more time because you have to stuff the shells, but it is worth it. Trust me. 

Turkey and Artichoke Stuffed Shells
From: Giada

  • 1 (12-ounce) box jumbo pasta shells (recommended: Barilla)
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 large yellow onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 pound ground turkey
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus 1/2 teaspoon
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus 1/4 teaspoon
  • 1 (8 to 10-ounce) package frozen artichokes, thawed and coarsely chopped
  • 1 (15-ounce) container ricotta cheese
  • 3/4 cup grated Parmesan
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 5 cups Arrabbiata Sauce, recipe follows
  • 1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella (about 5 ounces)
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and partially cook until tender but still very firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 4 to 5 minutes. Drain pasta.
Meanwhile, in a large heavy skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and the garlic and cook until the onions are soft and starting to brown, about 3 minutes. Add the groundturkey, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is slightly golden and cooked through. Add the artichoke hearts and stir to combine. Remove from heat and let cool.
In a large bowl combine the cooled turkey mixture with the ricottacheese, Parmesan cheese, eggs, basil, parsley, and the remaining salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
To stuff the shells, cover the bottom of a 9 by 13 by 2-inch baking dish with 1 cup of Arrabbiata sauce. Take a shell in the palm of your hand and stuff it with a large spoonful of turkey mixture, about 2 tablespoons. Place the stuffed shell in the baking dish. Continue filling the shells until the baking dish is full, about 24 shells. Drizzlethe remaining Arrabbiata Sauce over the shells, top with the grated mozzarella. If freezing, cover tightly with plastic wrap and place in the freezer for 1 day and up to 1 month.
To bake, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Bake until the shells are warmed through and the cheese is beginning to brown, about 60 minutes (20 minutes if shells are unfrozen.)

Arrabbiata Sauce:

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
6 ounces sliced pancetta, coarsely chopped
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
2 garlic cloves, minced
5 cups jarred or fresh marinara sauce
Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the pancetta and saute until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute until tender, about 1 minute. Add the marinara sauce and red pepper flakes and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and let cool until ready to use.

Notes* I didn't make the Arrabbiata sauce, I used a jar of classic Prego sauce instead of adding the pancetta, etc. And if you are like Mom and Jeff and like everything drowning in lots of sauce- you may want to get either the extra large jar or 2 regular size ones. I thought 1 jar was just perfect because I don't like a lot of sauce. 


The recipe says to cover with cheese before you bake it. I think I would bake it for most of your cook time first, take it out and cover it with cheese and bake the last 5-10 minutes to melt the cheese. I did it as the recipe said and the cheese was melted to oblivion. 
Also- I couldn't find any frozen artichokes so I used a jar of non-marinated artichoke hearts and it was just right. I used a bit more than what the recipe called for and really, since I LOVE artichokes, I think I could have used even more. I wouldn't use the marinated ones because I think the flavor would take over the whole dish. 
Also I found a jar of Arrabbiata sauce at Aldi's. I bought it but was afraid I wouldn't like it because it is supposed to be spicy, so I also bought the Prego. I was glad I did because the Arrabbiata is a little spicy for my taste- Mom loved it though. You could buy this and add some Panceta to it and that would be a great shortcut as well. (Or just use the jar by itself)


This is how the shells looked before I covered them in sauce and baked them...

No comments:

Post a Comment