I fell in love with cooking as a little girl, sitting on the counter, helping Mom cook. That shared love of cooking is what this blog is all about. I want this to be a place where we can all share and learn from each other all our favorite recipes, kitchen tips, and more. From how to fry an egg to Grandma's tried and true classics to your favorite olive oil. I hope everyone enjoys the blog, has fun with it, and will contribute your own ideas.

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Tuna Pasta Casserole (or Salmon)

This is a recipe in my Betty Crocker cookbook that I just LOVE. I always make it with canned salmon instead of tuna, just because I like it better. 

Tuna Pasta Casserole
1 1/4cups uncooked medium pasta shells or elbow macaroni (3 to 4 oz)
2tablespoons butter or margarine
2tablespoons all-purpose flour
3/4teaspoon salt
2cups milk
1cup shredded sharp process American or Cheddar cheese (4 oz)
2cups cooked broccoli flowerets, cooked until crisp-tender and drained*
2cans (6 oz each) tuna in water, drained (or canned salmon)

Crumb Topping**
2/3cup dry bread crumbs
1tablespoon butter or margarine, melted

Heat oven to 350. Make crumb topping and set aside.
Cook and drain pasta as directed on package.
While pasta is cooking, melt butter in 1 1/2 quart sauce pan over low heat. Stir in flour and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until smoother and bubbly; remove from heat. Gradually stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in cheese until melted.

Mix pasta, broccoli, tuna and sauce in ungreased 2 quart casserole dish. Cover and bake about 25 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Sprinkle with crumb topping and bake uncovered for about 5 minutes or until topping is toasted.



*NOTES* For fear of the tuna making this dish dry, I always double the sauce part. I am not a person who likes my food drowning in sauce, but in this case- I suggest it. Also, I use Rotini noodles instead of macaroni noodles because 1- they are pretty. :-) and 2- I think the spiral grabs the sauce and other ingredients better. :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment