I fell in love with cooking as a little girl, sitting on the counter, helping Mom cook. That shared love of cooking is what this blog is all about. I want this to be a place where we can all share and learn from each other all our favorite recipes, kitchen tips, and more. From how to fry an egg to Grandma's tried and true classics to your favorite olive oil. I hope everyone enjoys the blog, has fun with it, and will contribute your own ideas.

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Mashed Cauliflower

OK I know this sounds INSANE, I thought so too when I first read it. But if you are counting those calories or are just looking for a new way to get your veggies, this is amazing. I found this on a calorie counting tips website as a substitute for mashed potatoes. When I read "it tastes JUST LIKE mashed potatoes".. I moved on to the next recipe. But I went back and decided what would it hurt to give it a try? Mom decided to make it later that week and we LOVED it. You have to get the amount of olive oil just right or it gets too thin, or won't have enough flavor. So do a little at a time and taste often. Seriously- try it. 


Steam 1 head of cauliflower until soft. 
Mash cauliflower or put in a food processor until smooth
Add olive oil, salt and pepper a little at a time until you get a good taste but don't get them too thin. 


It seems these always turn out runnier than mashed potatoes- for obvious reasons- but I am telling ya the taste will surprise you. It is a great alternative to the real thing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment