I fell in love with cooking as a little girl, sitting on the counter, helping Mom cook. That shared love of cooking is what this blog is all about. I want this to be a place where we can all share and learn from each other all our favorite recipes, kitchen tips, and more. From how to fry an egg to Grandma's tried and true classics to your favorite olive oil. I hope everyone enjoys the blog, has fun with it, and will contribute your own ideas.

Friday, July 8, 2011

Spaghetti Stoup

Another good looking recipe from Gena!

Spaghetti Stoup
From: Gena
Ingredients
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 carrot, peeled and chopped into a small dice
1 medium yellow skinned onion, chopped
2 small ribs celery from the heart, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
3 cups tomato sauce or 1 (14-ounce) can plus 1 (8-ounce) can
3 cups chicken stock, available in a box on the soup aisle
1 pound ground beef, pork and veal mix (meatloaf mix) available at butcher counter
1/2 cup grated cheese, Parmigiano or Romano, plus more to pass at table
1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs, a few handfuls
1 large egg, beaten
2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves
1/2 pound spaghetti, broken in half
1 cup basil leaves, torn or shredded
1 loaf Italian crusty bread, for dunking

Directions
Preheat a medium soup pot over medium heat. Add extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan, carrots, onions, celery, garlic and saute 5 minutes. Add tomato sauce and stock and cover pot. Turn up heat and bring to a fast boil.

While soup comes to a boil, mix the ground meat with cheese, bread crumbs, egg and parsley. Roll into 1 1/2 to 2-inch balls.

Remove lid from soup and slide balls into soup. Bring back to a boil then stir in spaghetti. Reduce the heat and simmer soup 10 minutes more, until pasta is tender and balls have cooked through. Stir in basil and remove "stoup" from the stove. Serve soup with bread and cheese.

1 comment:

  1. I made this last night for the first time and it was SO GOOD! Thank you Gena for sharing! It is going into my "regulars" for sure.

    I think my pot was a little large and I needed more liquid to cover the noodles so I added another can of chicken broth and a can of whole tomatoes (that's what was in my pantry). It was so easy and the meatballs were delicious. I also couldn't find (or didn't have time to look for) the meat mixture so we bought a package of ground beef and a package of breakfast sausage and just blended them together by hand when I made the meatballs. I loved the bits of vegetables in it more than I thought I would, I think next time I may even put a few more in just because.

    A great, simple recipe. Try it tonight!!

    ReplyDelete