I fell in love with cooking as a little girl, sitting on the counter, helping Mom cook. That shared love of cooking is what this blog is all about. I want this to be a place where we can all share and learn from each other all our favorite recipes, kitchen tips, and more. From how to fry an egg to Grandma's tried and true classics to your favorite olive oil. I hope everyone enjoys the blog, has fun with it, and will contribute your own ideas.

Friday, March 15, 2013

Spinach and Ricotta Gnocchi

  This is a recipe I saw on my new favorite cooking show, Extra Virgin, on The Cooking Channel. I had never heard of fried sage leaves and I just had to try it. I know it doesn't sound like it would be good, but they were delicious! Especially with the spinach and ricotta. My 2 year old loved them so much, he kept snatching them off everyone's plate and asking for more. Who knew? This was a really easy recipe that turned out delicious and definitely something different from the every day. I didn't make my own ricotta in this one because I knew I was making this before I had made it and knew it would be good, so I had already bought ricotta for this, just in case. I can't wait to make it again and use fresh ricotta in it! 


Spinach Ricotta Gnocchi

2 lbs (3 bunches) fresh spinach
2 egg yolks
16 oz. ricotta cheese
6 T shredded parmesan
4 T butter
2 handfuls fresh sage leaves

Dip spinach into boiling water for one minute to blanche. Roll into balls and squeeze out all water. Chop into small pieces.

In mixing bowl add 2 egg yolks, ricotta, parmesan, salt and pepper. Mix all together with spinach and start rolling into balls about 1 inch in size. Place spinach balls into 9x13 pan. When done add a thin pad of butter to top of each gnocchi ball and sprinkle with parmesan. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.

While that is baking, melt half a stick of butter and a little olive oil in a frying pan. Add fresh sage to butter and oil and cook until sage browns slightly. Pour butter and sage over baked gnocchi and serve hot.  

No comments:

Post a Comment