I fell in love with cooking as a little girl, sitting on the counter, helping Mom cook. That shared love of cooking is what this blog is all about. I want this to be a place where we can all share and learn from each other all our favorite recipes, kitchen tips, and more. From how to fry an egg to Grandma's tried and true classics to your favorite olive oil. I hope everyone enjoys the blog, has fun with it, and will contribute your own ideas.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Avocado Dressing, Chicken Salad

I found this recipe on a blog via pinterest. I decided to make it with what I had in the pantry, which was most of what the original recipe called for, and tuna instead of chicken. It was delicious. The dressing part of this recipe is the best part. I have a zillion ideas for it bouncing in my head as soon as I trasted it. It was great with the tuna, diced tomato, onion, and diced avocado on toasted bread. You could do the dressing, avocado, diced tomato, onion, and chunked chicken and toss it with pasta. I used the dressing alone instead of mayo on my sandwich today for lunch. Put it on tacos, enchiladas, nachos, anything mexican it would be perfect for. Use the dressing as dressing on wedge salad. Use it as a dip with tortilla chips. You get the idea. It's fantastic. And the best part is compared to oh say ranch dressing at the store.. it is remarkably low calorie! 12 calories per tablespoon compared to 70 in a tablespoon of ranch, even the light ranch has 40 calories per tablespoon. The nasty fat free ranch is 15 calories per tablespoon. And the avocado is not only fresh and better for you- it tastes WAY better than fat free or low fat dressing. Plus it was super easy to whip up in just a few seconds. The recipe below is how I made it, click the link to see the original recipe. 

Avacado Dressing / Chicken Salad


Dressing: 
2 avocados
1 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup diced onion
1 T dried parsley
juice from 2 limes (about 2 T) 


Salad: 
tuna, drained (or chicken as the original recipe calls for.. can use anything you have on hand) 
1 avocado, diced
2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved (or a larger tomato diced) 
1/2 red onion, diced

In a food processor blend all the dressing ingredients until smooth. Toss dressing with salad ingredients and enjoy on toasted bread, tossed with pasta... endless possibilities. 

UPDATE: I made this last night with chicken and poured it over nachos. Just some good tortilla chips with shredded cheddar, stick it in the oven (or microwave) to melt the cheese then I globbed the chicken salad over the top and spread it around. It was delicious! 

No comments:

Post a Comment