I fell in love with cooking as a little girl, sitting on the counter, helping Mom cook. That shared love of cooking is what this blog is all about. I want this to be a place where we can all share and learn from each other all our favorite recipes, kitchen tips, and more. From how to fry an egg to Grandma's tried and true classics to your favorite olive oil. I hope everyone enjoys the blog, has fun with it, and will contribute your own ideas.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Carrot Cake

I made this today. My first cake from scratch EVER. Because baking scares me. I have so many terrible failures that I have stuck to the basics where dessert is concerned. But I decided I was gonna bake dang it! So I started with this. It was actually REALLY easy, and it came out delicious. I knew I had succeeded when Jeff took a bite and his immediate reaction was to close his eyes and take a deep breath. (ok so a little dramatic.. but that's Jeff) Very good. I suggest you make one.. like right now. YUM. 

Carrot Cake
From: Betty Crocker Cookbook
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
3 cups shredded carrots
1 cup coarsely chopped nuts
Cream Cheese Frosting


1. Pre-heat oven to 350. Grease bottom and sides of a 9x13 pan with shortening, lightly flour. 


2. Beat sugar, oil, and eggs in large bowl with electric mixer on low speed about 30 seconds or until blended. Add remaining ingredients except carrots, nuts, and cream cheese frosting; beat on low speed 1 minutes. Stir in carrots and nuts. Pour into pan.


3. bake for 45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack completely, about 1 hour. 


4. When completely cooled, frost with Cream Cheese Frosting and store covered in refrigerator. 


*NOTES* I didn't have as many carrots as I thought I had (I bought a bag of pre-shredded carrots) so Mom suggested I add a jar of Zach's carrot baby food. I did, and I think that actually made the cake more moist. Kinda like when you add applesauce, or pudding mix to a cake. I will do this every time now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment