I fell in love with cooking as a little girl, sitting on the counter, helping Mom cook. That shared love of cooking is what this blog is all about. I want this to be a place where we can all share and learn from each other all our favorite recipes, kitchen tips, and more. From how to fry an egg to Grandma's tried and true classics to your favorite olive oil. I hope everyone enjoys the blog, has fun with it, and will contribute your own ideas.

Friday, September 30, 2011

Grandma Rodgers's Chicken and Dumplins.

Yay! Finally I have a recipe from my Grandma Rodgers! Thank you Uncle Larry for sharing this one with me! I'm so excited! :-) 
Chicken and Dumplins
From: Grandma Rodgers (via Uncle Larry) 
Whole Chicken
Plain Flour
Yellow Food Coloring


Place whole chicken in large stock pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Once water starts boiling, turn down and let simmer and cook for at least an hour, until chicken is cooked through. Once chicken is cooked dip some broth out of the top of the pot and let cool. Mix your chicken broth and plain flour to make dough. On a large flat surface sprinkle out some flour and roll out dough VERY thin. Let it sit and dry 4-5 hours. The dryer, the better. Then cut your dough into squares to make your dumplins. Take your chicken out of the broth, de-bone it, and return chicken to the broth. Bring the broth back up to a boil and start dropping your dumplins into the broth one at a time, slowly. After dumplins are all added in to the broth, add a few drops of yellow food coloring (Grandma thought this made it look richer) and salt and pepper to taste. Let cook until dumplins are cooked through and serve while hot! 


Story: Funny story Uncle Larry told me while giving me this recipe- Once Grandma called and asked him and Jo Ann to come eat dumplins. When they got there they opened the pot and it was red! Uncle Larry asked "WHAT is THAT!?" and her answer: "It's RED Chicken and Dumplins. I was out of Yellow food coloring so I added red. It tastes just as good, if you don't like it go back home!" hahahaha. 

No comments:

Post a Comment