I fell in love with cooking as a little girl, sitting on the counter, helping Mom cook. That shared love of cooking is what this blog is all about. I want this to be a place where we can all share and learn from each other all our favorite recipes, kitchen tips, and more. From how to fry an egg to Grandma's tried and true classics to your favorite olive oil. I hope everyone enjoys the blog, has fun with it, and will contribute your own ideas.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

White Sandwich Bread

I have always wanted to make my own bread, but seeing as how I am not a baker, it never turned out very well. When we started eating "cleaner" the hardest part has been finding bread that Hubby and Little Man would eat. So I made it my mission to find a good bread recipe and make my own sandwich bread. This one did the trick! The first time I made it, it turned out good and every time I make it, it comes out better than the last. This recipe will make 3 loaves. Enjoy! 

Sandwich Bread
2 T yeast 
2 cups warm water
1/4 cup honey or sugar
1 T salt
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup vegetable oil or soft butter
6 1/2 to 7 cups all-purpose flour

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water to activate. Add honey, salt, eggs, oil, and 3 cups of flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in additional flour, 1/2 a cup or less at a time, until a soft dough forms and the dough is pulling away from the bowl. 

Turn dough onto an oiled surface and knead until smooth, about 6-8 minutes. (If your mixer has a kneading hook just leave the dough in the mixing bowl and put the dough hook on, let knead for at least 5 minutes) Place dough in a greased bowl (you can leave it in the mixing bowl, just take the dough out and form a small ball and place it back in the bowl) Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down and divide and shape into 3 loaves. Place in loaf pans and let rise until doubled once again. Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes. Remove from pans and let cool. 

If you wish, brush some butter on top while still warm.

*NOTE* I didn't want to knead the bread by hand so I used my dough hook on the stand mixer. The first time I let it knead for 5 minutes and I used a fast rising yeast. It came out a tad on the crumbly side. The last time I made it I used a regular active dry yeast, and I let it knead for 7-8 minutes in the mixer with the dough hook and it came out much better. I am not sure if it is the extra kneading time or the different yeast that made it come out better? 

No comments:

Post a Comment