I fell in love with cooking as a little girl, sitting on the counter, helping Mom cook. That shared love of cooking is what this blog is all about. I want this to be a place where we can all share and learn from each other all our favorite recipes, kitchen tips, and more. From how to fry an egg to Grandma's tried and true classics to your favorite olive oil. I hope everyone enjoys the blog, has fun with it, and will contribute your own ideas.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Light Pimento Cheese Sandwiches

OK I do NOT like pimento cheese.. just to get that out of the way. BUT when I saw Bobby Deen (Paula Deen's son) make these on his new show, I had to try them. they were INCREDIBLE. So yummy. And the best part is, including the bread and a slice of tomato- the entire sandwich is only 181 calories! Oh yeah. They were so good I had 2 sandwiches and a glass of tea for my lunch. Yum. You must try this. 


  Also- this would make a great dip for low-fat crackers or tortillas if you melted it in a bowl, or over tortilla chips and pop it in the microwave until cheese melts.. lots of different things this could be used for. For that matter stir in some chicken and put it on a tortilla shell for dinner...? You get the idea. 


I left out the jalapeno, doubled the recipe, and put 1/2 cup of mixture on each sandwich with a slice of tomato. It looks like way too much but when the cheese melts- it is just right. Trust me. I used a low-fat wheat bread as well. Sprayed my panini press with cooking spray and didn't add any butter or anything tog rill them until the cheese melted. (or you can use a sandwich maker, put it in a hot pan.. whatever...) I made 6 sandwiches and had enough left over to make 2 or 3 more later if I want. This was also my first time trying greek yogurt as a sour cream substitute. I was nervous but as soon as I tasted it- it tastes JUST LIKE sour cream and much better for you.. so don't be afraid of the greek yogurt! 


Light Pimento Cheese Sandwich



  • 1 cup finely grated Cheddar
  • 1/2 cup finely grated low-fat mozzarella
  • 2/3 cup plain nonfat Greek-style yogurt
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 green pepper, finely chopped
  • 1/2 red pepper, finely chopped
  • 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
  • 8 slices whole wheat bread
  • 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
  • Nonstick cooking spray
















In a medium bowl, add the Cheddar, mozzarella, yogurt, chives, salt and pepper, green and red peppers and jalapeno. Stir well to combine. Spread the mixture evenly among 4 slices of bread and top with a couple of slices of tomato. Top with the remaining slices of bread.

Spray a large nonstick saute pan over medium heat with nonstick spray. Place the 4 sandwiches in the pan and let cook until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Flip the sandwiches and continue cooking until the cheese melts, another 4 minutes. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment